Based on the Russian Fairy Tale, The Snow Maiden, Bath-based Butterfly Psyche’s new and original show is a multi-sensory, interactive family-friendly production that explores love and what it means to be a family.
Suitable for all ages, Butterfly Psyche promises to bring a special kind of magic this Christmas with The Snow Child. The show has been created with the help of Include Arts to make the mainstream performances as accessible as possible, as well as providing Assisted Performances and Accessible resources for theatre-goers with complex needs.
Created by one of the South West’s most exciting companies Butterfly Psyche Theatre’s The Snow Child is the eagerly-awaited follow up on their run-away success from 2013, The Bluebird (“one of the most thought provoking, visually stunning festive shows in recent years” 5 Stars, What’s On Stage.) This brand new adaptation of the classic Russian fairy-tale promises to be equally magical.
Writer/Director and Artistic Director of Butterfly Psyche Theatre Alison Farina says:
“This show has something for everyone. We’ve got snow, we’ve got polar bears, we’ve got fast-paced comedy and we’ve got some of the area’s most talented actors – but most importantly, we’ve got a story with a lot of heart. We also wanted to make this show as accessible as possible for everyone. It’s so important to us that our work is welcoming and relevant. With this approach, we hope to inspire other small independent theatre companies to work in this way, too. So whether you’ve got kids or not, this will be more than just your average ‘Christmas show’. Join us for a Theatre for All experience that you’ll remember for years to come.”
All performances will feature Keyword Signing for additional communication support, and will be followed by a 20-minute ‘Stay and play’ session, as well as a number of Assisted Performances including:
* Relaxed Performances – These performances are perfect for fidgeters, whisperers and all those who find sitting still a challenge. With the set and lighting designed to support those on the autistic spectrum, there will be nothing too bright, too dark or overstimulating. But if things do get too much, the auditorium doors will remain open and there will be a ‘Soft Space’ to retreat to.
* British Sign Language (BSL) interpreted performances – these are for anyone who uses BSL, their friends, family and everybody!
* Big Scream performance for families with very small children – and tickets for this performance will operate a ‘Babes in Arms’ policy, so a child of 18 months or younger doesn’t need a ticket providing they can be held by a grown-up.
* Visual stories are available on request to help audience members prepare for their visit. You can email the company to receive them either electronically or by post. Copies will also be available to pick up at The Rondo Box Office in the run-up to the show.
* Touch tours (an opportunity to explore the set and props before the show) for anyone with visual impairments are available as well as BSL tours prior to the BSL Interpreted performances. Large Print programmes/Visual Stories will also be available. Please email the company directly with your requirements.
* Available for the 4pm show on December 18th (the last Friday before Christmas) there is also a special Children’s Christmas Packed Tea (dietary options available via box office booking page).
The Snow Child runs at The Rondo Theatre, Bath from 9-20 December 2015.