We had a lovely time at the last She Writes of this year. Our theme was ‘Passions’ and we showcased a selection of plays which widely interpreted this brief!
* Maggie Drury’s short play ‘Fish on a plate’ was about a very strange couple –
one whose passion is words and the other whose passion is glass!
* ‘Such a nice girl’ by Melissa Keighley told a dark tale of a woman whose desire
to have her own space leads to murder.
* Sarah Davies’ ‘Nigel the dark destroyer’ told the hilarious tale of a goat who
could well be possessed by Satan…
* ‘The Star and the Painted Snipe’ by Sam Hall is the first stage of a play about
Aphra Behn. It will be developed into a longer piece.
* Whoop’n’wail (Ali Kemp and Deborah Klayman) gave us a really dark story of
domestic abuse with an intriguing reverse structure: ‘Cascade of Baubles’.
* ‘Slainte’ by SM Jenkin told the story of the ‘new agey-est’ of new age
therapists and a very stressed out client.
We also did a spot of open mic poetry after the plays (we like to mix it up!) and had a range of great poems from male and female poets.
We will be taking a seasonal break, then back next year with more news of She Writes! Thanks to everyone who has supported us over the past year, and our talented cast, and all our fabulous writers. We have showcased a total of 48 plays since we started and I really look forward to introducing more brilliant plays to you by women next year!